Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blog Assignment #4

IPOD podcast

The first link I looked at was The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale. It went over the many uses for podcast in the classroom. It can range from teachers uploading their classroom lectures to getting the students to create their own podcast in the form of shows on what they are learning in the classroom. Some of the great ideas I saw in the podcast was helping kids that are out for extended absences have access to the lectures on venues like Itunes. This can help them stay caught up on materials for the test and it helps the teachers by keeping everyone on track with their learning. What an incredible tool that could be if every teacher utilized it! Also, it mentioned using the podcast in the classroom to assist in teaching the curriculum. You can do things like voice overs on stories to stimulate the interests of your students. It is an effective tools to help them retain the key information from the story.

The second link that I explored was the Practical Principles which is a series of podcast that cover different aspects of technology in the classroom and different tools used to help improve how teachers improve themselves and their students. Each podcast is really in depth and they focus on a different aspect of teaching on every episode. I think that the best part that I could come away with from this website is just to mirror their message of providing information on common problems associated with this ever evolving profession. I would love to set up a series of history podcast based on a timeline that I establish in my future classroom. I would add a lot of interesting dialogue and great pictures and links to some really amazing sites. Every week I feel like I am growing in my idea of what I want to be as a teacher. Very exciting!

The third link that I followed was Langwitches. The podcast that I looked at was a 1st grade teacher that got her class to record a podcast on a story and had each of their record a chapter so that everyone was involved in the book. The summary on the site talks about the kids made a script for everyone to follow along as they listened to keep everyone engaged. She mentioned that they were developing talents such as voice inflection, fluency, pitches. They actually cared that they were clear and interesting. What an amazing idea!! Reading is such a difficult part of education. I struggle with the proper practices to teach to my kids. It is so hard to find ways to get kids to enjoy reading. After seeing this, I wonder why more educators are not doing the same. Because they are not just listening, they are reading and following along. They are learning without even realizing it and they are enjoying it! Again, I feel a little bit smarter just by being exposed to these great innovators!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Owen,

    You did a fantastic job on this assignment. Remember to check verb-noun agreement. I can tell that you were motivated by the sites that you visited, and I encourage you to maintain that enthusiasm. You're going to be great! Also, I think it is important that educators know and understand the common problems they will face. If you don't mind, I would like to know what common problems you see in this profession.

    Thanks, Jason Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I would love to set up a series of history podcast based on a timeline that I establish in my future classroom. I would add a lot of interesting dialogue and great pictures and links to some really amazing sites." Do it!

    "Every week I feel like I am growing in my idea of what I want to be as a teacher. Very exciting!" That's the purpose of EDM310.

    Well done. Your comments indicate these assignments helped prepare you for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete