Thursday, November 3, 2011

C4K Summary Post for October

kids blogging award

My first comment for October was for a class blog called We are Kids with a View. This is a class that is comprised of 1st grade students. They are located in New Zealand. This is the class that did the survey on the design of the New Zealand flag. I am assigned to comment on a particular student by the name of Rohan. He mentions that he is working on subtraction with numbers up to 20. An interesting fact I gave him about the U.S. was a geography fact that the state of Alabama is located on the Gulf of Mexico. I figured he would like to know exactly where the person from the other side of the world that is commenting on his page is located. Visualization has always been a good first step for me!

My second assignment for C4K was for Ms. Gregory's 6th grade class. I was assigned to comment on two students from this class. The first student was Nate. He was the student I had from my list. I wrote on his blog about sports and enjoying the hobbies that make us all happy. My second comment was from the random slot machine that is on the site. The student that I "won" was named Anthony. He was blogging about his science class on density and talking about a project where he would figure out the amount of seconds it takes for the earth to rotate once. I asked him to elaborate on how to do the project and will look for his reply.

My third assignment for C4K was for Hailey"s blog in an 8th grade class. She does a post describing her in a soccer game where she is about to score a goal. The detail was really amazing and it made me feel like I was actually in the game. This is some of the best descriptive detail I have ever seen a student at this level give! It makes me realize how amazingly talented some of these students really are!!

My fourth assignment was to comment on a student from Classroom 9 in Miss Priscilla Lavaculla's class. I ended up commenting on PJ's Australian animation blog post. It was a short animation of animals in the Australian outback. I gave him high praise for his effort and put a link to follow the progress of this class. Really great videos are being done in this class. What a great way to get students involved in history and other aspects of their subject requirements!!

My final comment from this month covers a blog that I am very excited to read. It is a blog for history students that do various projects on topics from different periods in history. The one that I was assigned to focus on is called anticipation of the projetand it is written by a student in Miss Gwaltney's 10-12 grade history class in Portland, Oregon. This student did a blog reflecting on their project about the Ottoman Empire and how he went about doing the work. There is mentions of using various sources as well as his love for having the freedom to choose his topic from a particular era in history. I commented on my agreement that students deserve to have some control over what they learn based on their interest and that we all could benefit from this form of education. I am adding this blog to my PLN. Excited for the possibilities of how my future class is going to be conducted!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Owen, your blog looks great. I read some of your posts and they are all so detailed and you have great stuff to say. Your comments about the kids blogs you read are great. I think it is so cool to actually see how teachers are using technology to enhance their classes in all subjects. This month I looked at an art class, history, math and so much more. The possibilities are really endless. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete