Sunday, November 20, 2011

Additional Post #1

list of funny metaphors

I will start by answering the question of why I didn't get the metaphor in Don't Let them take the Pencils Home. I go back and I replace technology in the place of it and I can do nothing but laugh at myself. The problem that I encounter with college at times is that I take it too seriously. Now I am not saying that students should treat their future lightly. My suggestion is to remember why we are here. Teaching is one of the few careers that to me is very inspiring and it takes a special person to be an educator. We obviously don't do it for the money!! We do it because we want to not only teach them but we want to change their lives for the better. I tell my wife all the time that if I can change the path of just one student and see them succeed because I showed them that I cared, then I have accomplished more than any business executive could ever do. So I say that in the future just relax a little bit and look for the meaning in some of these blog post assignments!!

Here are a list of some of the metaphors I have written down:
Life is a roller coaster.
It's hotter than hades.
You're about as sharp as a beach ball.
I'm mad as a bull
Run like the wind
slept like a baby

I think as an educator that metaphors are a great way to communicate with students. Everybody has a different way of learning and metaphors are a tool that we use to get our point across not only in the classroom but in everyday situations. Also, as mentioned in Jennifer asked: Why use Metaphors, metaphors are sometimes a great way to talk about difficult topics. For example, it is much easier to use the Boy Who Cried Wolf as a way to explain why lying is bad than to tell someone that lying is bad without understanding the consequences in a way that they understand. It is amazing how much we use metaphors in the English language!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gill,
    I agree that using metaphors is a much easier way of explaining a difficult topic. It is much easier for younger students to understand as well. I have an elementary age class at the daycare I work at, and I myself have had to use metaphors to explain certain things to them. They just understand it better.

    ReplyDelete